torstai 21. kesäkuuta 2018

Back to Shikoku. Part 2 of the pilgrimage is close by!

New year, new trip to Japan. This time continuing the Shikoku Pilgrimage I started last year. For those of the readers who haven't read about that one you can read about it from my previous blog found at here. More information there about exactly what the pilgrimage is about in case you already didn't know and somehow found this one.

Last year unfortunately my walk ended up little bit earlier than I had planned. From the start I had been planning only to Sukumo city and temple 39 as 3.5 weeks or so didn't give time for that. And even that required quite a pace. Too much as it turns out! Going to temple #36 due to miscalculations while planning and getting lost I ended up with 36.5 kilometers or so in one day when I was already tired which ended up giving ankle pain too hard to continue next day. Well I tried about 8 kilometers but then had to throw in the towel and hitchhike to Susaki town.

So. This year I'll be picking up where I left. I won't go back to where I hitchiked as getting to exact spot would be tough and again due to work pressures don't have as much time as I would like so I'm short on spare days. So I'll start from Susaki and from there head south. I'll be starting with several sparse days with just walking. First day I do get to temple 37(well assuming I'm not beaten and forced to quit on first day already!) but after that 2-3 days with no temples(depending on do I want 30km+ day or not) with temple 38 day after that. Then about same before reaching temple 39. Overall I'll be doing lot less temples(31) than last year(40) as the Kochi and Ehime prefectures are sparser on those than Tokushima and Kagawa. More days as well so overall temple density will be lot thunner. Most of the time 2 temples in a day will be a rarity! No temple days are also going to be fairly common on the first half but once I reach temple 39 those are reduced.

Last year as said I had to stop bit too soon due to ankle issues so I'm taking couple precautions. For one obviously slow down pace. Last year was too fast. Still not sure how I ended up that badly messed up(in the 18 days I walked over 30km more than I had planned for!) with my speed estimations. Few times getting lost and maybe bit inaccuracy on calculating distances but rest? Just the amount spent walking in temples? If so the sparsity of temples should help. Still while last year plans were often 26, 27 and even 30km days with average around 26km per day(plans. In the end almost 28km with last day 8km only walked) this year it will be more of 20-22km plans with average 22.1km per day planned. Even with km or two added due to temples etc it should be noticably more relaxed pace this time which will be very welcome.

Also gives me more time to just enjoy views, temples and talk with any poor local I can find as a victim for a chat ;-)

I have also invested money on new gear getting new smaller and lighter backback. On rainy days food back might have to hang on outside though food back itself is fairly water resistant but with more important camera and temple gear(especially stamp book) needs to go into inside. Smaller means more crowded bag. I also got myself smaller and notably lighter camera. Photo quality is about same and indeed even BETTER on darker conditions or when I want focus on foreground but obviously had to compromise on something and that something is zoom so more "foot zoom" required. Also shoes are lighter more breathable which should help with the asphalt roads.

All in all I would be feeling rather confident except for...It's a summer. Japanese summers are hot. I got taste of that 3 years ago and while july might not be as hot as august it still is hot. For sure I'll be drinking tons to keep me hydrated but can I finish this? If not I need to think something else to finish up the pilgrimage as I'm determined to do it! On foot.

In any case. It's going to be hot three and a half week or so walking through last of Kochi prefecture and hopefully end up around temple 61 in Ehime prefecture leaving last stint for next year. After that I'll be going to Tokyo to meet with old friends.

Plane departs on 7th, arrives early 8th. On 9th I will be using train to get from Tokushima to Susaki and walk to first lodging and then on 10th pilgrimage begins fully. Looking forward to it!

First full day will ironically be one of the toughest ones. Fairly long and 400m mountain climb. And first day. Will load up on drinks for sure. But if I can get through that I'll be feeling lot more confident!

Whom will I meet? What will I experience? 2 questions I'm eager to find out!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti