keskiviikko 5. syyskuuta 2018

Day 9. Konbini hopping part 2

17.08.2018

Today would be similar day to yesterday. With even less temples. Only one as a matter of fact. So I was up early enough hoping to do good time on early morning with relative coolness. I proceeded at a nice pace and ignored first konbini as I had no need yet and just kept moving state road 11. 




Eventually I joined with official henro route or rather it joined with the route 11. Took a short trip through residential areas and back to 11. It was already quite hot. I had with me 3 bottles of drink which I drank one. I started to look for a vending machine to replenish supply but didn't come across one. Walked onward, took out a second and started drinking. Had drank half of it and was again thirsty and by now I was getting slightly worried.



We were now between towns basically with mountain on my left and nothing of note on right. Are there any vending machines here? No shops on map anyway. Was getting actually bit worried as at this rate I would be running out of drinks soonish. Surely it's not vending machine-less road until bekkaku temple 12? I asked one driver who had stopped about nearby vending machines but he wasn't aware of one. Gulp.


Was REALLY worried but then i finally came across some sort of factory with vending machine at the area and near enough road I figured it's not trespassing going in(though at this point I would have taken the risk anyway). I could have kissed the feet of whoever had decided to put that vending machine there.

Blessed vending machine!

Drowning a bottle and loading up and now carrying FOUR bottles just in case I continued onward.
 
Eventually road 11 turned north and here I was supposed to take turn to right but there was first trap turn. Only bit of google map eyeballing convinced me this was not the right path despite henro markings. I also figured following 11 doesn't lead me into wrong direction so less of mistake if I follow 11 mistakenly. Bit forward from that though I found the correct path toward east so left the road 11.



This path led through small residential areas. 




Nice views kept my spirits up despite the heat.



Nice shaded area to walk on!







One of the most notable spots was shortltly after when the road crossed through bigger than average river. Some good hearted soul had set up amazing(and that word doesn't even nearly cover it) resting spot for the pilgrims. It even had cold drinks(orange juice) and it took all my willpower to not gulp down multiples. It was TAAAASTY! Coupled with shade, place for bed, some sort of toilet(simple one likely), chairs, tables, TELEVISION....what a pilgrim paradise. This would be luxus location to stay for camping pilgrims. Left a thank you note and name slip behind.



Seems like google translator was responsible for this...Well intent should be obvious enough.
This was awesome tasting drink.

Seriously who's kind enough to set this up for pilgrims to rest here for free?
Many many pilgrims have stopped over!


"Let's greet cheerily/in happy spirits"


The small path went through woods so was quite shaded and as such temperature was reasonable but all good things comes to end and eventually I was back at residual areas and then finally arrived to the destination. Bekkaku temple 12 Enmeiji, Longetivy temple(identical name including kanjis to one of the main 88 ones...).


That was one shaded pilgrim mark. Nearly went wrong way here.



 I think these are two of the 7 gods of luck in Shintoism.

 Poor snake was at the wrong place in a wrong time.


This temple had very good resting spot and clean and very decent toilet outside it. Good place to rest as well. I spent some time there before entering temple. 

This temple is credited for Gyōgi Bosatsu




 This is Izarimatsu. Izari means crawling on he ground etc. Matsu being pine tree. Because of this temple is also known as Temple of the Cripple's Pine. Also as Senmai-dōshi temple. Senmai being 1000 thin pieces(like paper) and senmai-dōshi refers to 1000 thin pieces of paper with name of Buddha written tied as an amulet. 

Above picture is NOT mine. Original page is HERE

Basically some people take these at home(should have got one!) and some are devouted enough they actually swallow these things with water. Supposedly good for your health. Before swallowing chant Goohōgō Mantra (above link claimed kōmyō mantra which goes in Japanese On abokya beiroshanō makabodara mani handoma jimbara harabaritaya un. Which seems to mean roughly Praise be to the flawless, all-pervasive illumination of the great mudra (or seal of the Buddha). Turn over to me the jewel, lotus and radiant light) three times.

This originates from temple legend where Kobo Daishi is said to have met crippled/disabled men here next to a tree Kobo Daishi is said to have planted before. Kobo Daishi is said to have given him slip of paper with secret word(maybe Buddha's name) and made  him to swallow it with water. Men is said to have been healed.

Impressed by this the healed man asked Kukai to ordain him as a priest receiving name Hōnin. The temple has since become famous for shipping these Semmai-dōshi throughout Japan. 

On temple I gonged the bell(my favourite part of temples!), found the main hall and did my prayers there and then...where's the daishi hall? Didn't find one. Went to stamp office to ask but nobody there. Scratched my head and noticed candle spot, incense spot and...daishi statue at the back. Could this be it?. Daishi hall was with temple office. So prayers there and wondered what now? Nobody to sign my book. Well time to spend so I sat down figuring he(or she) is on a break and comes soon. Had time anyway, was going to rest anyway so why not here. Did feet massage, just rested and...25 minutes later figured now something is off. Looked for a bell or something. Nothing. Went outside hoping to see somebody to ask. Nothing. Looked left and saw houses. Went there and saw sign "people with business press this button". I figured I would at least get some information. As it turns out I got the priest outside who also showed the actual button inside temple stamp office that I was supposed to press that was off from where I had been looking and info plate was for some reason flipped over to boot. Ah well.

Priest took his time writing it so can't complain about rush job! Btw I always enjoy watching the ink part being written so got value for my money. These stamps aren't that big interest later but the process of writing is nice to watch.

 Inside the main hall.


Main hall.


 The temple bell. Lovely sound.

 Inside stamp office/Daishi hall.
 The Daishi statue.

 Outside stamp office/Daishi hall.






Remains of the root of the pine tree.

With the very long break over left my way towards the next goal. Lodging. Walking through small residual areas I greeted a guy who greeted back. I was then stopped by a call from the right. Old lady asked to stay and dissapeared right away so I figured settai was incoming so took out a name slip and started to prepare that when the guy I had just greeted came up with a bottle of tea as an osettai. Tried to offer a name slip but he didn't want it and wished me good luck and take care on this heat. Old lady came with glass of VERY tasty juice and while I was drinking left again getting some snacks from the inside. She accepted the name slip and we spent some time talking about this and that before we parted.

Have I mentioned before how awesomely friendly the people here are? And how much they take care of us pilgrims?





From here I had two options. Stay on these residential areas or break off back to road 11 that is a) shorter route b) has plenty of konbinis. Also hotter but...on this heat konbinis with their air conditioning, toilets, food, chairs and all the drinks I could need won over so headed to the road 11 and indeed went to first konbini I saw for a lunch.


So from here basically day can be summed up as. I walked highway 11(sometimes scarily narrow walker's area), stopped at virtually every konbini marked on map and some that weren't on my way stopping for rest, drinks and toilet: it was good 13 kilometers or so to the destination.



 Pet graveyard.



 Interesting looking supermarket :D

Whole lot of conversations on the route as well with various people I encountered. Especially at the konbinis. At one I won iced coffee can and not fan of coffee in the first place and used for it in hot form I tried to offer it to one guy who refused but we talked about this and that. Got good laugh out of him by saying maybe rather than temple tour I'm doing a konbini tour :D He has done this once by bike(not sure was it bike as in motorbike or bike as in for cycling). After he left eventually what looked like a highschool boy came and he accepted the coffee. Good. He was happy to get it, I was happy to not have to carry it until I find somebody to drink it instead. Win-win!








 Interesting "you are here" kind of maps.


 Approaching target, slow and steady...





Eventually got to the town and found my lodging. Ryokan but unusually for those no meal. I asked if that's due to summer and she confirmed it. Well better that than closed. Plenty of food to buy nearby and only 4000 yen so good price. Give me airconditioned room to sleep, laundry and bath and I'm happy.

Made plans for rest of the trip and realized I might get it done by next week sunday so in about 12 days. Albeit requires some tactical taxi, bus or train usage to get rid of few 30km+ days.

 Thank you locals for all these henro signs.


Walked 28, km, total 172,17km.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti